Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Beaches, Babies, and Deep Breaths

School is off to a swimmingly good start. The kiddos have arrived and are ready to learn. For the most part. I think.

Sometimes I like to remember back to what I was like in class in tenth grade and think about what I thought about school back then. Learning? Who cares! Every once in a while, I'd be quiet and focused long enough to breeze through what ever ridiculous exercise we happened to be doing in any given class. So I try to remember that when I'm teaching.

OMG YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE NOTES!! JOSE IF YOU DON'T FOCUS ON WHAT WE'RE DOING RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO RIP YOUR LIPS OFF AND BEAT YOU WITH THEM!! IF I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO GO COMPLETELY INSANE ON YOU GUYS!!

It's not life and death here. It's English class. Who cares? I mean, I care. I do. And the kids should care too. We should get our work done in class, and I need to make sure they're getting the things they need, but come on. Let's not lose sleep over it. Or get high blood pressure because of it. It's tenth grade English class. And I think I'm starting to get a grip on this more this year than I have in the past three years. I'm learning to enjoy it. And if I'm enjoying it, they'll enjoy it. I think that's the key.

So in the name of enjoyment, P and I are taking a little and LONG OVERDUE mini vacation out of town this long weekend. We have nothing to do. Nothing on the agenda. No shows to put on, no records to record, no real set schedule. So we're heading to the Gulf Coast (of Texas) to see my lil sis and spend a couple of days holed up in a fabulous hotel laying out by the pool and staring at the ocean. I. CAN'T. WAIT.

And after it's all over, come Tuesday, the madness begins again. September is a crazy busy month for us. I have training for school, Texas Jack is getting back together for a reunion show at FarmFest in Chillicothe the 3rd weekend in September, and then the last weekend, we'll be back in Oklahoma City/Stillwater-- where P will be back in the studio recording, and I'll be (hopefully) holding little Zoey Grace Miller in my arms and spoiling her little newborn self rotten!

So it's a straight slide into October-- which if you didn't know-- is the BEST MONTH OF ALL. I turn 31 and my marriage turns 3! :) Gotta love it! Good things are one the way!

Hasta!

1 comments:

Mary Morrow said...

pretty neat how we learn to chill a little as time goes by & are able to start enjoyin' the ride...

enjoy the beach... humidity is much better endured while sitting next to a large ocean body :).

*muah*