Friday, September 10, 2010

Sorry for the Radio Silence

I've had a lot going on in the last couple of weeks! Well, mentally at least. And we traveled some. Now September is here and the ball is really getting rolling. Next thing I know, it'll be May! And you'll hear no complaints from me about that! :)

Last weekend we took a trip to the Texas coast. We stopped to see my sister in Houston-- and we stayed in her new swanky high-rise digs.

 She's on the eleventh floor overlooking all of downtown Houston. It's pretty nice.  I'm really proud of her.  She just got a second job working on-call nights and weekends at a community clinic just because she wanted to fill her time more. She's a pretty stellar individual.

And being that she'd only been in the place a week, we spent a morning fabric shopping and a few hours in the afternoon hanging curtains for her massive wall of windows in the living room.  

Then we headed an hour south to Galveston.  For some reason, water has a profound calming effect on me.  Even if it's not beautiful, tropical, Bahamian water.  Even Texas gulf water does the trick.  And we arrived just in time.  Hermine was just starting to kick up way off coast, so there were some amazingly beautiful waves, and the weather was still awesome.  It was hot, but it didn't really feel that bad because of the ocean breeze.  We drove down the seawall to our hotel, which was very impressive, by the way.  I'm a bargain shopper in every day life, but one thing I refuse to do is skimp on vacations.  So when we pulled up to this place, I was very, very, satisfied with my choice.

Not only is Hotel Galvez one of the nicest hotels on the island, it's also haunted.  BONUS!  Supposedly, in the early 1900's a lonely wife of a sailor hung herself from the top of the hotel when she learned her husband had perished at sea.  Only, her husband survived and returned to find she had committed suicide.  Supposedly, she had checked into room 501 that fateful night and now the entire fifth floor is haunted.  So of course, P had to drag me up there to see if we could see a ghost or anything.  We didn't.

And for the next two days we ate lots of great food and spent a total of like twelve hours in the pool.  It was nice.  And on the last day, I sat in the lobby looking out at the waves as P was having the car pulled around.  I didn't want to leave.  But we had to, and it was perfect timing because just as we were leaving the island, Hermine came ashore with buckets and buckets of rain and some pretty stiff winds.  We saw rescue helicopters over the beach in the rear view mirror.  But we made it out and back home safely.  It was a nice break over a long weekend that was still close to home.

And now September has begun, and our calendar is full.  P's got a ton of music stuff going on this month both in Texas and Oklahoma.  And Zoey Miller, my honorary niece and firstborn of my best friend, will make her world debut on Monday, September 20th, if not before!  Exciting stuff!  I can't wait to meet her.  And I can't wait to see Caroline become a mom.  I think it's going to be the greatest thing ever.

So, you won't have to wake me up when September ends.  Because this month is too exciting to sleep through. :)


tomorrowsmemoriesphotography said...

*happy sigh*
sisters are great -wish i had one.
i love the beach too!
and i like fancy hotels.
and babies... they're pretty great :).
and i can not wait for May...but meantime, i'm enjoying the ride.