Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good Times.

My husband DVR'd Caribou Barbie's acceptance speech and is watching it laughing. I love this man. Seriously, we don't have time to go into all the things that are wrong with this whole political situation. But really, it's almost offensive. Stand up and wave at the crowd, Todd and pregnant daughter. Stand up and wave, new boyfriend who's now a member of the family whether he likes it or not.

Anywho, it was so good to see my Lizzie Bets tonight at the RCPM show. I wondered, as I always do, when I walked in, I wonder if she'll be here. The about ten minutes later I spotted her scurrying to the front the stage... my long, lost Phoenix friend. She screamed and hugged me. And we talked like old times. It's funny how I see so much of myself in so many of my friends. Liz is like the perfect exact picture of me like five or six years ago. Caught up in the running around and the adventure. New places, new things, new people. Determined to find a bad boy even though she knows it's probably not good for her. I can't help it! I CRAVE him! I just patted her on the arm and said, Yes, dear. I know. But it's a phase. Trust me. You need him now, but you won't always.

Then she went into a story about the hot guy standing behind me. It apparently was the best friend of a boy that she so desperately WANTS to fall in love with because he's perfect: he's hot, he's sweet, he's a Christian. Again, I put a hand on her shoulder and said, Elizabeth. Don't do it. You can't force it. If it's not there, it's not going to be there. You're swinging between extremes here. And she asked, But if it's all the same, please come to my wedding. Even if I settle. I said, Okay. But I'll be the one raising my hand at that point in the ceremony when they ask the dreaded question...

Anyway, the moral of the story is what I told her. Just wait it out. You're young. You're beautiful. Do what you want to do right now. You have no responsibilities and you're jet setting around the world, literally. Don't even give it another thought. When you're ready, you'll find your happy medium. Because that's what we smart girls do. We don't settle down with that bad boy who ends up being the abusive and innatentive husband, and we don't end up being the oppressed and brainwashed happy housewife on Zoloft either. We wait it out. We travel. We build careers. We know ourselves inside and out, the good and the bad. And we find our happy medium.

And Liz will too. She's too awesome not to. And I know awesomeness when I see it.

We have it in us. And that is all.

0 comments: