Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It's been a month since I've blogged. It's crazy how when you find out you're having a baby (at least your first one) you use every single second of every day thinking about that baby. What's he gonna be like? What's our life gonna be like? Am I gonna be one of those crazy women who breaks down and hates motherhood at first? Am I gonna be one of those saints who LOVES breastfeeding and NO IT DOESN'T HURT AT ALL and I can't imagine being more happy than I am right at this moment with this wonderful newborn? What's it's gonna be like?

I spend most of my days pondering these things. Reactions and advice from people runs the gamut from one extreme to the other. Of course, there's no shortage of "Just wait..." comments. And the "You're going to love it" comments are admittedly few and far between. But I thrive on them. Word to the wise: Don't discourage new moms before they have their babies. Just don't do it. If you don't have something positive, or at the very least, constructive or helpful to say, just keep it to yourself. Motherhood is a challenge. We all know that. But don't tell me how much it sucked for you in the beginning and in the same breath tell me how much you don't regret it. Tell me the good things that came out of it. Tell me how you survived. Tell me what you learned. Don't just tell me how much it sucked. Because then I think, Wow. You went on to have more kids. Was it just a lack of birth control or what?

I have one friend, maybe two, and that's it who continually remind me how empowering it is becoming a mother. How life changes, yes, but you become this totally new, stronger, better person than you thought you'd ever be. They tell me yes, you'll be tired, but you'll cherish those late night feedings and the relationship you'll have with your baby. And I love the encouragement. There needs to be more of that in the world. So I really am looking forward to making it a positive experience. I'm determined to.

I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment of the amount of things we have left to do and the little time we have left to do it. 3D ultrasound is coming up this weekend, then we've got docs appointments every two weeks; we need to pre register at the hospital, register for the child birth class and the breast feeding class. I've got a host of things yet to buy before the kid gets here as it pertains to things I'll need at the hospital and things we'll need immediately when we come home. And I've got about 2 1/2- 3 months to get it all done. I can't believe how quickly this is flying by. I remember in my first trimester saying to someone how slowly everything was moving- it was going to be a long nine months. Not anymore. This belly is literally getting bigger every day. And it won't be long before kiddo is here and we're thrown into the deep end. I am SO ready for it!

2 comments:

Mary Morrow said...

Motherhood IS GREAT! Childbirth is empowering sister... you WILL conquer the world by bringing baby into this world!
Breastfeeding is amazing. That may sound weird, but trust me, it's incredibly amazing to be able to nourish your child with your own body. I don't know how else to describe it.
The late night feedings are seriously some of the sweetest memories I have with my babies. Just me and them and the moon. Priceless memories!
I am so eager for you to experience all this, you will NEVER see life the same way again!

Anonymous said...

HEy Danielle here...Just read your post. Wanted you to know, in case you didn't, that motherhood is the best thing you will ever do. You will love it. I loved giving birth...loved nursing, and you are right. It is life changing and that little boy will change your life in so many positive wonderful ways that you will wonder how you ever enjoyed life before they were born.
YOu will ROCK motherhood, because you want him so bad, and you have waited for this day to be here. AND, because it seems like you have a WONDERFUL hubby and best friend to help you through. Even the hard times are not so bad because you have this precious child that loves you unconditionally. SO- no worries...I had three and would have 10 more if I could afford it and give them all my time. The best part is that giving birth, nursing, and loving HIM, making him feel secure, God has given only you that ability and that is stinking awesome. Which makes you very strong and important in the life of your child. You have a wonderful role model in your momma and I have no doubt that you will be the best momma ever.

just in case you didn't already know this. :)

Danielle