Monday, January 10, 2011

G'day, mate!

So it's 2011 and I'm already learning new things.  I've started delving into meditations recently in an effort to learn how to truly and purposefully relax in my body.  I'm contemplating effortlessness and the anti-fight (which is going to be a process to really develop)-- letting thoughts and feelings just be.  Promptly noticing they exist and then just letting them move on without dwelling too much.  It's an interesting exercise and one that's entirely new to me. 

And in the spirit of improving mind and body, I'm going to amp up my writing exercises for the time being.  I'm going to choose from one of four prompts and write about them as time allows.  I won't over-commit myself and say I'll do it daily, but that would certainly be nice.  A few times a week is what I'm shooting for at the moment.  And so here's what I'm contemplating today:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."  Charles M. Schultz

What consumes us?  What do we spend too much time dwelling on or worrying about in our lives?  And what are we missing as a result? 

Lately, as you can tell, I've been thinking a lot about relaxing and letting go.  There are times during the day, when I'll randomly notice that the muscles in my legs are clenched-- same thing with my face, neck, and shoulders.  My body is literally bracing for impact.  From what?  What a sad idea my body is getting about the world.  It's like it's steeling itself, preparing for some sort of attack.  Yikes.  I know that I need to slow down.  I need to welcome whatever experience I'm having.  After all, can't we learn something from everything?  I've said it before, but I don't believe in regrets-- even when we see we've made horrible choices that have produced terrible consequences in our lives.  We can always learn something. We are the sum of our experiences.  We are the lessons we take away from them (and the lack of learning the lessons as well).  So if I can learn my weaknesses and learn how to consciously make better choices that will produce more desirable consequences in my life, why would I regret the experience? 

My mind knows these things to be true.  But my body clearly is riding the short bus on this one-- as it does not seem to be too welcoming of the moment.  Today I am extremely thankful for a husband who centers me and brings me back.  When I send him a text message saying that once again I've been thinking about our budget and that we probably need to sit down and figure out how we're going to finance the rest of this bathroom remodel, he replies back, "It will be taken care of, honey.  We've planned for this.  I need to you to relax and just be here with me and know that it's okay."  The physical response I have to his words even on the phone screen is amazing.  I feel my entire body release its tension and I feel like I could take a really great nap for a few minutes.

Which brings me back to what Mr. Schultz said.  Stop worrying.  It's already been taken care of.  So that's the lesson for the day.  Stop for a second to notice the response your body is having to your day.  And then let it go. Because it's already tomorrow in Australia.

1 comments:

Mary Morrow said...

Thank you for this reminder!