Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life...

So as you can tell, things are changing around here. I bought the domain name for Daisy Girl today, http://www.daisygirlpress.com. But for right now, it's pointed here, at the blog. So if the current blogspot address is too hard to remember, maybe Daisy Girl Press will be easier!

Many, many thanks to the awesome and fabulously technologically gifted Kevin Miller (Caroline's husband) for fixing my photoshop woes today. I was having some problems with images showing up fuzzy in my manuscript, but he fixed them right up! Man, how lucky am I to have a friend who sees my tweet-in-distress and calls me right up to fix the problem. Muy excelente!

So I had an interesting and thought provoking incident happen when Caroline came down last week to shoot the art for the book. We went out to dinner with her Broadway friend, The Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz. At the restaurant before the show she introduced me to him. And he said, "What do you do?" And I said, "I'm a teacher."

Pause.

Caroline says, "Listen to her, I'm-a-teacher. She's also writing two books. And she just started her own publishing company. She left that out." Yes, yes. Small feats that are continuously in the works. I'm not entirely confident in them yet.

And it got me thinking, at what point can you start saying, "I'm a writer. Thanks for asking." I mean, I've been writing in a creative way since I was at least 12. I've had a blog pretty consistently since I was 23. But of course, writing adolescent poetry and having a blog does not a writer make. I know this. So when does it happen? When do I officially become a writer? When I have a best seller and strike it rich? When somebody options my memoir for a screenplay? When I have something actually tangible that I can turn the pages of in my hands? When someone pays money to read something I've written? When do I get to be a writer?

I have no idea.

But I'll keep writing. And by the end of the summer, I shall in fact have a pretty little tangible package in my hands full of words that I wrote and pictures that my uber talented best friend took. Maybe then I'll be a writer.

And in the meantime, I'll just keep being a teacher. :)

0 comments: