Monday, April 20, 2009

Allo, love!

I'm been feeling a little stressed out lately. A bit on the edge. I'm not really sure why, but it's going to turn around soon. I'm just sure of it. I realized this morning before the first bell even rang at school that I was already lecturing (nagging not teaching) my kids in my head. So by the time they hit that classroom door, they were already doomed. This is not good. I attribute it to short but long-feeling haul to summer. April and May just draaaaag along so slowly!

Then something lovely happened. One of the kids looked out the window and said, "Hey! There's a truck out there on fire!!" Whaaa? Sure enough, here come the fire trucks and the police cars, sirens blaring. I was talking to an assistant principal after school and asked her about it. She said, Yeah, one of the kids got angry and slashed another kid's tires, then set the truck on fire. Fabulous.

We are a nation grossly deficient in healthy emotional expression. Most of us either don't do it at all, or do it in totally destructive ways. We've got to find a balance. People are so angry. And so sad. I see it every day. And it's just one more reason I need a summer break.

The Mavs go for win #2 against the Spurs tonight. It'll be a miracle if they pull it off, but I'm crossing my fingers! It's a fabulous distraction! And that's all for today. More later. I'm reading poetry.

So expect it. :)

0 comments: