Monday, June 6, 2011

Cue the DJ Jazzy Jeff Song

It's the first official day of my summer. And there's already so much swimming around in my head- lists of things I want to do with my new-found free time! Being a teacher is one of the loves of my life, but this summer has been sorely needed and muchly anticipated! After all the stress of the potential impending budget cuts last school year- from Oh NO! They're laying off 50% of our faculty! To No, nevermind. Everybody's staying- which swung from one extreme to the next and back again for six whole months, the year was emotionally trying. People became more difficult to work with because the ax was hanging over all our heads. But as summer has approached, most of our jobs are still in tact and now we have a couple of months to rest and mentally recoup and prepare for the craziness that will begin again on August 15th.

This past year I've had some pretty amazing creative opportunities. My alma mater published one of my blog posts in an anthology by and about one of my college professors. I had the opportunity to begin writing book reviews for Penguin Books through BlogHer. And I was able to meet and hang out with one of my favorite musicians, who in turn encouraged me to up my game and my confidence a little in my singing and songwriting. (I believe chickenshit was the actual word he used. It worked.) So this summer, I'd like to keep doing more of the same, I guess. I feel like I'm on a creative roll and I'd like to ride it out and see where it takes me. And now I have the time to do it.

So I'm gonna go make some breakfast and see what the day holds. Send creative vibes my way and I'll send them back! :)

0 comments: