Monday, May 23, 2011

Summertime in the City

So here we are. The last official full week of school. I can whole-heartedly and honestly say this has been the most trying year of my teaching experience. Ironically enough, it has nothing to do with my students. The state budget cuts have had everybody in a tizzy since January. We've all just been waiting for the proverbial ax over our heads to fall squarely on top of us. We've been waiting and prognosticating and predicting and stressing out and drinking and worrying, and when it comes down to it at the end of the year, it seems like it's not going to be the total destruction and devastation we thought it would be five months ago.

So we're in the home stretch. Mere seconds away from crossing the finish line. Tempers are short and patience is wearing thin on all sides as we near the end. Everybody's ready to move on to what's next. And that's a summer where we don't have to worry about how the bills are going to get paid next year. Relaxing and recouping.

I for one will be on a tropical beach sipping drinks out of a pineapple with my husband and my bestie. I'll be sleeping in. I'll be writing and doing some music. It's a summer of creativity. I'm excited for it.

And here we go...

0 comments: