Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sometimes I'm a Bad Wife.

This is not the first time this has happened. My husband is so sweet, but sometimes I have a hard time letting him be as fabulous and wonderful as he so desperately wants to be.

Thursday night while messing around online, I realized that my favorite band, Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, is playing at the Wormy Dog in Oklahoma City. I thought, Wow. RCPM at the Wormy Dog (my old home away from home); if he's playing in OKC, he must be coming to Texas too. So I check the schedule dates. Nope. Just OKC & Tulsa. So I say to Poncho, who's sitting in the chair across from me, OMG! RCPM at the Wormy Dog next Friday! And he's not coming to Texas!! OOHHH!

That was his cue to say, "Honey, we should go! I know how much you love them."

Instead, it was total silence. Then a very ambiguous, "Cool."

Umm, no. Wrong answer. My heart sunk and I just kept my mouth shut. We're getting the kids for spring break that weekend and I learned a loooong time ago that that time is precious and nothing, not even RCPM, can interfere with it. And rightfully so. So I pouted inside for a few minutes and moved on. I'll catch them the next time around.

So then we have a conversation this morning about waiting until Saturday to go pick up the kids who are out of town. And I can feel the frustration just building up in me. And I've already decided in my head that I am going to be severely pissed at him if he decides to wait til Saturday to get the kids and I still don't get to go to the Roger Clyne show. I will make him pay. Yes, I am petty and vindictive like this sometimes. I am. I'm a big enough person to admit it.

He sees the look in my eyes. He hears the air I'm breathing deeply in. He sees my lips tighten. And he laughs.

"Ok, honey. Damn it! I wanted to surprise you, but you're getting pissed. I've already made arrangements to go to the Roger Clyne show on Friday. It's already all taken care of. WHY won't you ever just let me surprise you???!! I had the whole thing planned!!"

So after the ten or so minutes I spent celebrating and being super excited about getting to see this band that I've seen no less than fifty or so times (I may be exaggerating a teeny tiny bit), I started to feel really bad. I apologized. I'm such a baby sometimes. And such a bad wife. I always ruin his surprises. Pretty much every time.

I've got to figure out a way to change this. Because I love surprises... and I'm keeping myself from getting them!

1 comments:

Mary Morrow said...

LOL!!! Okay, you have me laughing REALLY hard right now!!!