Thursday, February 26, 2009

Soundtrack to My Life

Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world.

The soundtrack to my life thus far...

Mariah Carey- Music Box
Used to sit in the floor of my room next to the stereo and cry for hours... oh the teenage angst. (Not sure how I snuck this unchristian music past my parents...)

The Eagles- Hell Freezes Over
Pretty much the only rock and roll that was allowed at my house, cuz dad was a fan. :) But it got me into it. And apparently it stuck.

2Pac- All Eyez on Me
Reminds me of riding around in friend's cars in high school. I still know most of the words to most of the songs...

Faith Hill- It Matters to Me
My introduction to country music. I still think this album has some amazingly written songs on it.

Martina Sorbara- Cure for Bad Deeds
My all time ultimate favorite chick singer/songwriter who has abandoned the genre in favor of making techno music with her husband. Well, she was great while it lasted. I dream of having her writing ability. (Bonnie & Clyde might possibly be the greatest song in the entire world.)

Green Day- American Idiot
Poignant, in your face, honest and extremely well written political rock. I love it. Bullet in a Bible, the live album, was awesome as well.

Lost Trailers- Welcome to the Woods
Reminds me of long weeknights when the Wormy Dog was pretty much empty but we still sat around pondering the big questions. Good times.

Matt Powell- Dragonfly
Love the feel of this CD. Raw, moody, bluesy. A good fit for my early twenties.

Jack Ingram- Acoustic Motel
The live show was awesome. But mostly this CD reminds me loooong late night drives back from Stillwater. And some intimate moments we won't discuss...

Todd Snider- Near Truths and Hotel Rooms
The most genius dumb sounding folk music you'll ever hear. Perfect for road trips.

Counting Crows- Films About Ghosts
Awesome greatest hits compilation. Reminds me of the wall I used to write/paint/draw on in one of my guest bedrooms... Everybody's gone, they left the television screamin' that the radio's on. Someone stole my shoes, but there's a couple of banana's and a bottle of booze...

The Decemberists- Castaways and Cutouts
Reminds me of Jefe and our good times, even though they didn't last long enough. Be kind to your mother though she may seem an awful bother, and the next time she tries to feed you collard greens, remember what she does when you're asleep! :)

Imogen Heap- Speak for Yourself
Will ALWAYS remind me of the west coast. I can smell the saltwater every time I put it on. LOVE it.

Pink- I'm not Dead AND Funhouse
"The One that Got Away" and "Crystal Ball" are two of my all time faves. Pink acoustic kicks just as much ass as her loud, in your face rock songs.

Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers- Americano
All things love, happiness, friends, good times, and Mexico. This album sums it up and it never, ever gets old.

So there you have it! The 15 albums that provide the soundtrack to my life!

0 comments: