Tuesday, April 12, 2011

So music is in the air.

Over the past several months- well, the last year, really- the universe has seemed to keep telling me to stretch my creative muscles in the area of music.

I grew up in a fairly musical family. My dad's undergrad degree was in music, and my mother is a fantastic singer. I also took piano lessons and played in competitions for twelve years as a child. Of course, it helped that growing up as a preacher's daughter, I was accustomed to the stage and an audience in that regard, but after I graduated from high school, I let music drop off the map and defer to other interests.  Like writing.

But lately, it seems like it's been coming back to the forefront of my creative endeavors. I married a musician who loves spending time in the studio doing production work, so I guess I should've seen it coming. So we've been toying with the idea of it. Playing. Writing. Music. Lyrics. Singing.

I don't feel like it's my forte. I'm completely confident in my writing ability. I've honed that craft. I've failed miserably and I have also had some success. I feel established enough at this point to call myself a writer. However, I'm a far cry from being any kind of established musician. Yes, I can sight read. Yes, I know music theory. Yes, I can play the piano. Yes, I can write lyrics, but most of the time I'm not anywhere near happy with them. But I'm practicing. And I may fail miserably at this music thing. But maybe I'll also have some success, even just in being happy with something creative that I've produced. That would be enough!

But I'm stretching my creative muscles far, FAR outside my comfort zone. And it feels good.

0 comments: